Convert carat to gram

Swap conversion: gram to carat

Facts and Curiosities

The Carat is a weight measure used for gemstones. One carat equals 200 milligrams. The stones are measured to the nearest hundredth of a carat. Ruby and sapphire are heavier than diamonds, so a ruby or sapphire carat is smaller in size than a diamond carat. This unit of mass was adopted in 1907 and can be divided into one hundred equal parts of 2 mg each. Interestingly, if this measure is applied to gold it ceases to be a mass measure and becomes a measure used to assess its purity. For example, 18-carat gold has 75% gold, the other 25% is made up of other metals that are added to the part to make it look brighter and longer.

The Gram is a unit of mass and is one-thousandth of the standard kilogram. Although the kilogram is the fundamental unit of mass, in practice we use gram as the main unit. This is because, the multiples and submultiples of the mass units, are defined from the gram, see the case of hectogram, decagram, decigram, centigram, etc. Did you know that a cap of a pen weighs about a gram and that this is also the approximate weight of a paper money?

Math Formula


Conversion Examples

carat to gram carat to gram
1 ct = 0,2000 g 15 ct = 3 g
2 ct = 0,4000 g 20 ct = 4 g
3 ct = 0,6000 g 25 ct = 5 g
4 ct = 0,8000 g 30 ct = 6 g
5 ct = 1 g 35 ct = 7 g
6 ct = 1,2000 g 40 ct = 8 g
7 ct = 1,4000 g 50 ct = 10 g
8 ct = 1,6000 g 60 ct = 12 g
9 ct = 1,8000 g 70 ct = 14 g
10 ct = 2 g 80 ct = 16 g
   Do you like? Please Share!


Perform the conversion of carat to gram

Send a Comment

send email

While great efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of our conversion formulas, as well as all other information that is presented on our website, we can not give any guarantee or be held responsible for any errors that may have been made by our automatic calculators. As such, we urge our users to immediately contact with us if they find any error in the conversions made. Of course, we will try to correct any reported anomalies as quickly as possible! Thank you.

Trader Timer Zone